There are so many reasons to make this trail mix:
1. Who couldn't use a little "Sunshine" in their lives? ;)
2. It's fun and simple to make. It's something the kids can help with, even the little ones.
3. It's yummy: crunchy and chewy, sweet and salty.
4. It's relatively healthy.
5. It keeps well, travels well, doesn't require refrigeration. One of my taste-testers stashes this trail mix in her desk at work.
6. It's pretty! :)
7. It's versatile- you can adjust the ingredients to meet your needs. Use unsalted nuts, for instance.
8. It's fairly eco-friendly. The packaging is reusable and recyclable.
9. It would make a great little gift: tie a ribbon around the neck of the jar, and you're done!
I used Ball brand wide-mouth pint size canning jars. They hold about a cup and a half of trail mix.
Sunshine Trail Mix Print Recipe
Makes about 9 cups
7 oz. whole almonds (I used dry roasted)
7 oz. shelled pistachios
1 package golden raisins (9 oz.)
1 jar sunflower kernels (6 oz.)
1 package (5 oz.) dried cranberries (I used Craisins)
1, 12 oz. package dark chocolate chips (or chips of your choice)
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container. Or pour into jars and give as gifts!
Another fun gift-in-a-jar idea:
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Both recipes may have been taken to these great parties!