Lemon Crunch Coffee CakeCake:
1 and 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (1/4 oz.) Red Star Yeast Active Dry Yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons shortening or coconut oil
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1 teaspoon lemon zest (I used 2 teaspoons, and additional for garnish)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, melted (if you use unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt)
2. In microwave safe bowl, heat buttermilk, water, and shortening or coconut oil until warm (120 to 130 degrees; shortening or oil may not melt). Mix into flour mixture, and add egg. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed.
3. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough (I ended up using all but 2 tablespoons of the total flour, so 1 and 7/8 cups). Knead with dough hook on low until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. (This is still going to be a very soft dough; it's not going to look like a thick, springy bread dough). Cover; let rest 5 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, combine all the topping ingredients except the butter, and combine. Pour melted butter over all and mix well. Set aside.
5. Press dough into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over dough. With the back of a greased spoon, make random indentations in dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 30 minutes. A few minutes before rise is complete, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until just golden brown. Do not overbake. Serve warm or room temperature. Store leftovers tightly covered. Serve sprinkled with additional lemon zest, if desired.
Recipe by Red Star Yeast
You may also enjoy another Red Star Yeast recipe baked by Yesterfood,
Subscribe to Yesterfood by email: